"The goal is to become the unique, awesome, never to be repeated human being that we were called to be." -Patricia Deegan

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Running on Empty

How quickly things can change. All my planning for the next three days was around going to do a new 25k race about 3.5 hrs south of Calgary. Then this morning I got a simple email asking me if I knew anyone doing the "Running on Empty" 100k ultra this Sunday.

Well, no, I didn't. I'd never even heard of it. Turns out it's a charity run of 25/50/100k from west of Calgary (Bragg Creek) to the mountain town of Canmore. And it starts at midnight. How fantastic! And is put together by a top Albertan trail runner to raise funds for the MitoCanada charity - awareness and support for mitochondrial disease. His son was suddenly struck with it at age 4.

With only 4 weeks until Commonwealths, I didn't feel comfortable with a 100 k run, even at an easy pace, as it will also mean sleep dep with the midnight start. So I'm joining in at the 50k mark and will get to run over the 2 passes - Lusk and Jewel - and spend the day with some amazing people.

Although it's last minute, I set up a donation page here.


No comments:

Post a Comment